Saturday, February 6, 2010

Miracles and Wonders

I was reading the Bible today and for some reason a passage stuck out to me:

46Once more he visited Cana in Galilee where he had turned the water into wine. And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum. 47When this man heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea, he went to him and begged him to come and heal his son, who was close to death. 48"Unless, you people see miraculous signs and wonders," Jesus told him, "you will never believe.". 49The royal official said "Sir, come down before my child dies. ". 50Jesus replied, "you may go. Your son will live." The man took Jesus at his word and departed. 51 While he was still on the way, his servants met him with the news that his boy was living. 52When he inquired as to the time when his son got better, they said to him, "the fever left him yesterday at the seventh hour." 53Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus said to him "your son will live." So he and all his household believed. John 4:46-53

Now the verse that most stuck out to me today was 48. To dig a little deeper I went to my MacArther Bible Commentary for an explanation, here's how he explains it:

48 Unless you people see signs and wonders. The "you" is plural. Jesus addresses these words to the Galileans as a whole and not just to the nobleman. The response of the Galileans was fundamentally flawed because it disregarded the person of Christ and centered in the need for a constant display of miraculous signs. Such an attitude represents the deepest state of unbelief.

Now let's look at another story:

5When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6"Lord," he said, " my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering." 7Jesus said to him, "I will go and heal him." 8The Centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9For I myself am a man under authorithy, with soldiers under me. I tell this one 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it." 10When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the king will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 13 then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.". And his servant was healed at that very hour. Matthew 8:5-13

The thing that really just grabbed me was in John the man didn't believe until the miraculous sign was done. Do we realize who our God is?? Do we really? (I'm including myself in this 'we'). Do you have any idea the amount of people God has healed from cancer???This is huge to us, but to God it's nothing. He told Lazarus to come forth, goodness He raised himself from the dead even. We don't need to question God's ability. I just like to read the Gospels sometimes just to remind myself of who I serve.

I've always loved Matthew 6, now it's taking on a new meaning. The Lord covers so much in that chapter but I especially like starting at verse 25 where the Lord tell us not to worry. And He didn't make it optional which always struck me as odd. How can we not worry???? But in verse 33 He gives us our answer, He said to seek Him first. Instead of pondering or worrying we're supposed to spend time we'd waste on that seeking Him.

And you know what, so far I've found it helpful. I thought before if I ever was in a situation like this I'd go crazy. I truly thought an issue like this would do that. Sam and I were just talking yesterday about this and believe it or not the conversation was around "how are we still standing?"

For those of you who are truly praying for my family please continue. I was talking to my friend yesterday and she asked if I had peace because that's what she's been praying for, that the Lord will give me peace. At first I'm thinking , I still don't have peace but then it hit me after we got off, I actually did sleep sound the last three nights, there's been a TON of laughter this week even through two hospital visits and truthfully I don't dwell on this situation, I do think about it of course but Sam and I are moving forward...yes I'm starting to feel better. So those of you praying, it's getting heard, please don't get disappointed if God doesn't answer our prayers the way we may want.

I'm loving our Savior right now, this situation stinks but He's teaching Sam and me so much. We thought we already knew but there's so much we just didn't know that we're learning through this. I'm reading back through Matthew and John I'm looking at not only how God healed but the way people approached him. We often quote how God healed the blind man but what did he say to him in the process. What did Jesus say to the man lowered in on the mat? How did he address Mary and Martha when he arrived at Lazarus's tomb? And too don't you know God could've stopped the beheading of John the Baptist??

We're talking about God who created the heavens and the earth just by speaking. The same God who rebuked the winds and the waves.

I truthfully just started this ride I have no clue how hard the journey is going to get and honestly i'm not going to spend too much time thinking that far ahead anymore. But I'm comforted knowing who's in control of this situation and that He's not only going on this ride with us but commanding the ship.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: