Friday, February 5, 2010

How to Discipline

Nathan took a flying leap off of the couch today!!!!! Sam and I were so happy but then something occured to us...he's not allowed to do that!!!! Then I got to thinking of something else - How in the world do you discipline a child going through chemotherapy???

Now my doctor told me that I have to still discipline like I would if he were well. That advice has been some of the best ever, it helped us teach Nathan to listen to the doctors, especially when things are being done to him that are painless (such as blood pressure) and it's helped.

But I used to believe in time outs and sometimes spanking but spanking Nathan right now just feels weird (I would say whoopins but I don't know if that's politically correct:-) Peyton of course has noticed us let up a little and is taking full advantage of this situation.

But also the doctors point out that what Nathan is going through can be traumatic to adults so who knows what it does to a child. And we have noticed changes in Nathan's personality, so much so that when the 'old' Nathan shines through and he starts cutting up, it actually bring us joy, weird huh. Now I wouldn't go visiting other people now, not sure they'd feel the same way we do :-).

My only fear is starting bad habits. Nathan has to eat a ton of calories while on chemo. I was actually told the more fattening foods the better. Plus chemo changes your taste buds, things he used to like he now hates. Actually he only wants pringles...so for two days he ate pringles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...I know this was a dream come true for him but I had to talk to his dietician about this because we felt he was getting away with murder. Poor Peyton begged to do the same but we didn't let her. When we went back to the doctor I was told he gained two kilos (whatever that means), but he had a heavy sweater on too, I refuse to give pringles any credit.

So that's what's on my mind today. I'm trying to maintain some stability around here not easy but has to be done. I haven't got my formula down yet, I'll update more when we do.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: